I wanted to paint the wicker insert a different color than the outer part of the fan blade. I wrapped the blade in newspaper and cut the wicker section out. While the fan blades were drying, I painted the spindle. I forgot to take a picture. Sometimes I get totally involved, and forget to take pictures!
After the spindle was dry. I drilled a hole on top of the spindle where the head would be attached.
For the dragonfly head, I used a top fence post. I painted it the same color as the dragonfly body. After the fence post was dry, A hole was drilled on top of the fence post for the antenna.
I used two white ceiling light caps that I painted yellow for the eyes. Little screws were used for the pupils.
For the Antenna, I used a lamp shade harp off of a old lamp.
The fan blade brackets were attached to the spindle.
At the last minute I decided to use a finial for the tail of the dragonfly.
Since I decided to use a finial for the tail, Two inches were cut off of the spindle so the dragonfly wouldn’t be too long in length for the fence that I was mounting it on.
The finished product! I’m pleased with how it turned out.