- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 10 prawns/shrimp , peeled and deveined (Note 1)
- 2 garlic cloves , finely grated
- 2 tsp ginger , finely grated
- 1 lemongrass , peeled, finely grated (Note 2)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce (or soy sauce)
- 2 tsp curry powder (Note 3)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp chilli garlic paste or other chilli paste , adjust to taste (Note 4)
- 400 g/14oz coconut milk (Note 5)
- 2 cups /500ml chicken broth (or vegetable)
- 2 tsp lime zest (1 lime)
- 200 g / 7 oz fresh egg noodles, prepared per packet (other noodles Note 6)
- Big handful bean sprouts
TOPPINGS / FOR SERVING:
- Lime wedges
- Fresh coriander/cilantro leaves
- Sliced red onion (or sliced green onion), Fried Asian shallots (Note 7), sliced red chilli, more chilli paste (optional)
Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add prawns and sear both sides until light golden (doesn’t need to cook inside). Remove onto plate.
Turn heat down to medium. If pot is looking dry, add a touch of extra oil.
Add garlic, ginger and lemongrass. Saute for 20 seconds until garlic is golden.
Add sugar and fish sauce. Stir and cook for 30 seconds – it should look like caramel.
Add chilli paste, coriander and curry powder. Stir and cook for 30 seconds.
Add chicken broth and coconut milk. Stir and bring to simmer.
Simmer for 2 minutes, then add lime zest and return prawns into broth.
Cook for 2 minutes just to reheat and finish cooking the prawns.
Place noodles in bowl. Ladle over soup.
Top with bean sprouts and coriander, plus toppings of choice (chilli, red onion, Asian fried shallots).
Squeeze over lime juice to taste. Slurp and be happy!