Back to Top
> Just for you
> The Perfect White Cake
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 cup milk *at room temperature*
- 6 large egg whites *at room temperature*
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened but still cool
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two 8-inch cake pans.
- Make sure milk and eggs are room temperature.
- Pour milk (I used skim) , egg whites, and extracts into medium bowl and mix with fork until blended.
- Mix cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in bowl of electric mixer at slow speed. Add butter, cut into cubes and continue beating on low for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add all but 1/2 cup of milk mixture to flour mixture and beat at medium speed for 1 1/2 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup of milk mixture and beat for about 1 minute.
- Pour batter evenly between two prepared cake pans.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 27 to 30 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool to room temperature.
- Frost cakes with favorite frosting.
- Just barely adapted from [epicurious|http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/COOKS-ILLUSTRATED-WHITE-LAYER-CAKE-50017374], taken from Cooks Illustrated.