- ⅛ lb salt pork, diced fine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 2 lb stewing beef, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tsp marjoram, dried
- 1 tsp rosemary, dried
- 1 tsp thyme, dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 1½ cups red wine
- 1½ cups beef broth
- 20 pearl onions, trimmed and peeled
- ½ lb mushrooms, quartered
- Melt the salt pork over medium heat in a heavy Dutch oven or covered casserole. When crisp and golden, remove and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Add the chopped onions to the melted fat in the pan, and slowly cook them to a light golden brown. Remove and set aside.
Mix the flour, salt, and pepper on a dinner plate, and roll the meat in the mixture.
- Brown the beef, a few pieces at a time, and add the herbs, wine, and beef broth.
- Return the pork and onions to the pot and cover. Simmer for 1½ hours.
- Add the pearl onions and cook for an additional 20 minutes, then add the mushrooms and cook for about 10 more.
- When the onions are fork-tender, the stew is done.
Source : allrecipes.com