- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter softened
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups mashed very ripe bananas approx 4 bananas
- 1 cup sour cream I used light
Brown Sugar Icing:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter until smooth and creamy. Add sugar and beat for another minute, at medium speed, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
- Add vanilla, then beat in 1 egg at a time. Mix in bananas (the mixture might curdle, that’s ok).
- Add half of the dry ingredients, sour cream, and then the remaining dry ingredients, mixing between each addition.
- Thoroughly grease a 12-cup bundt pan and add the batter to the pan. Rap the pan on the counter a couple times (to remove air bubbles), then smooth if the top. Bake for 55-65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Loosely cover the cake with foil if it starts to get dark (this was around 30 minutes for me).
- Place the pan on a wire rack until it is cool enough to handle, then carefully unmold the cake and place it back on the rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan combine butter, brown sugar and milk. Bring to a simmer, whisking frequently and cook until the sugar is dissolved, a minute or two. Remove from the heat and cool for 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla, whisking to combine. Add powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time, whisking vigorously, until you reach your desired consistency. The icing will start to firm up quickly so have the cake cooled and ready.
- Drizzle the icing over the cake and immediately sprinkle with nuts. The icing will set in a matter of minutes.
adapted from : www.celebratingsweets.com