- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 4 Tbs ketchup
- 1 tsp caraway seed
- ½ can sauerkraut, drained and chopped
- 1 pound shaved pastrami
- ½ pound swiss cheese, medium slices
- 1 loaf cocktail pumpernickel bread (such as Rubschlager – 1 pound)
- Heat large griddle or skillet to medium high.
- Mix mayonnaise, ketchup, caraway seed and sauerkraut together in small bowl.
- Cut or tear cheese slices to fit bread slices.
- Spread 24 slices of the bread with the sauerkraut mixture. Add shaved pastrami and cheese slices. Top with remaining bread slices. Butter both sides of sandwiches, if desired.
- Place sandwiches on griddle or in skillet, until brown, about 1 minute. Turn and brown on other side. Serve immediately, or move to cooling rack to cool completely.
- If making ahead: Cool completely. Place sandwiches in single layer in Ziploc bags. Freeze until ready to use. Reheat on a cookie sheet at 350 for about 20 minutes or until heated through.