The following natural paste recipe will prevent plaque formation:
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin (unrefined) coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- A few drops of your favorite essential oil
- (for example, peppermint oil) *optional
In a bowl, mix the ingredients until you get a homogeneous paste. If you like, you can add a few drops of some essential oil.
Dip your toothbrush into the paste and brush the teeth twice daily, in the usual manner.
The following natural recipes are also highly effective in removing plaque if used once or twice a week:
- Mix a teaspoon of salt and 2 tablespoons of baking soda, and gently brush the teeth with the paste.
- Mix a teaspoon of baking soda with some hydrogen peroxide to make a paste, and brush the teeth and gums. Then, spit it out and rinse the mouth well.
- You can simply put a bit of baking soda on the wet toothbrush, and brush the teeth. Then, rinse the mouth with lukewarm water.
When it comes to teeth whitening, experience has shown that coconut oil is the most potent natural ingredient for the cause, especially when used in a process known as oral pulling.
This oil is a rich source of medium chain fatty acids, 50% of which are lauric acid. Lauric acid has strong anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties which eliminate plaque and bacteria in the mouth. It also helps to keep your breath fresh and whitens the teeth.
The findings of a study published in the Nigerian Journal of Medicine in April 2015, which observed 60 subjects between the ages 16 and 18 who used oil pulling as part of their oral hygiene over a period of one month, revealed that the levels of plaque and gum diseases had dramatically lowered after 7 days of oil pulling.
Click ‘Next Page (>)’ to keep reading and don’t forget to SHARE with your Facebook friends