- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling on cake
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a square baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 3/4 cups flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl or mixer, cream together butter and sugar and lemon zest for 3-5 minutes, or until fluffy and lightened in color.
- Add in egg and vanilla extract and continue to beat until incorporated.
- Starting with the liquid, take turns adding in buttermilk and flour mixture until everything is just combined.
- Toss blueberries in remaining 1/4 cup flour until coated, then fold blueberries into batter.
- Pour batter into greased baking dish, then top with 1-2 tablespoons sugar.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove dish from oven and let cool before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Alexandra Cooks