Chili Cornbread Pot Pie
45 minutes to prepare serves 6-8
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 (14 oz.) can kidney or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cornbread Topping:
- 2 (8 oz.) packages cornbread mix
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 (8 oz.) can creamed corn
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated, optional
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Heat olive oil in a large, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onion until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add beef to onion and garlic mixture and cook until browned, 8-10 minutes, then season with chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and all beans and stir until mixed.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed.
- While chili simmers, prepare cornbread by whisking together cornbread mix, eggs and milk in a large bowl. Once combined, fold in creamed corn and cheddar cheese, if using.
- Pour cornbread into skillet, on top of chili, and spread into an even layer.
- Place skillet in oven and bake cornbread is cooked through and chili mixture is bubbling, 20-25 minutes. Serve hot. Enjoy!