We determined the size of the headboard based on the number of tiles we had. The headboard is three tiles wide by 10 tiles high. We marked the utility board and cut out the pieces with a circular saw. We used pieces 1, 2, and 3.
We constructed a frame of 2 x 4s using pocket holes to connect everything.
We used wood glue and brad nails to connect the utility panel to the frame. The vintage irons are helping to hold the board in place.
We laid the tiles in place then removed the backing and stuck them into place. It’s literally Peel & Stick!
We trimmed out the edges with actual pallet wood cut to size and stained. This was glued and brad nailed into place.
We determined the placement for the light hardware and drilled holes with a Diablo hole saw. The flanges were then screwed to the board.
The light kits were threaded down thought the pipe fittings into the hole and the pipe was screwed into place. The light socket fits snuggly into the opening of the metal elbow.
We used a French cleat to hang the headboard on the wall. One part went on the headboard and the other on the wall.
We lifted it onto the wall and plugged in the lights.
We also made pallet valances for the windows, but that’s another post!
Another view of the DIY headboard, end tables, and pallet valances.