- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 small head green cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup uncooked white rice
Lightly coat a Dutch oven with cooking spray or vegetable oil. Add ground beef and onion and cook until ground beef is no longer pink, breaking it into small pieces as it cooks. Drain off any fat.
Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
Add tomato paste and stir in well.
Add all remaining ingredients except rice.
Partially cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in rice and continue to cook partially covered for 15 to 20 minutes.