1 (18.25-ounce) box white cake mix
1 (3-ounce) box strawberry flavored instant gelatin
1 (15-ounce) package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
4 large eggs
½ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup water
Strawberry cream cheese frosting, recipe follows
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
¼ cup butter softened
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (10-ounce) package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
½ teaspoon strawberry extract
7 cups confectioners’ sugar
Freshly sliced strawberries, for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix and gelatin. Add pureed strawberries, eggs, oil, and water; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Pour into prepared pans, and bake for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- For the frosting:
- In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in ¼ cup of the strawberry puree and the strawberry extract. (The rest of the puree is leftover but can be used in smoothies or on ice cream for a delicious treat.) Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth.
- Spread frosting in between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with sliced fresh strawberries, if desired.