- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (4 oz) can mushrooms, drained
- 2 cups macaroni, uncooked
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 2-quart casserole dish with butter or nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Cook macaroni 1 to 2 minutes less than package directions call for, drain, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, season beef with garlic powder, thyme, salt, and pepper and brown with onions until cooked through and onions are tender.
- Stir in soup, milk, and mushrooms and season to taste.
- Arrange half of meat mixture into bottom of baking dish. Layer with half of the macaroni and half of the cheese. Layer once more with remaining meat and remaining macaroni.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and bake until cheese is bubbly and golden brown, about 10 minutes more.
Recipe adapted from The Southern Lady Cooks.