- 1 (1 oz) packet dry onion soup mix
- 1 (10 oz) can French onion soup
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted
- 2 1/2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cups Gruyere or Swiss cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with oil, butter, or nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together onion soup mix, onion soup, and melted butter. Add potatoes and sliced onion and stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and spread out evenly. Cover dish tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover, and continue cooking until potatoes are fork tender, 30-40 minutes. Stir halfway through cooking time.
- Top with grated cheese, cover dish again with foil, and let rest until cheese has melted, about 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!