This bacteria is expelled when you blow your nose or sneeze. But if you decide to eat your boogers, you’re letting that harmful bacteria enter your system. And it’s not even just eating your boogers that has potential for health risks. Picking your nose increases the risk of transmitting the bacteria that lurks underneath your fingernails. One study even revealed that people who pick their noses are far more likely to have Staph (an extremely harmful, sometimes life-threatening infection) in their nose than people who refrain from picking.
The moral of the story? Don’t pick your nose, and certainly don’t eat whatever you find up there. If your boogers are bothering you, reach for a tissue like a civilized person.