- 1 16.25 oz package white cake mix
- 1 small package strawberry jello
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup frozen or fresh unsweetened strawberries. thawed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 16 oz. packages Confectioners’ sugar sifted
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh or frozen thawed strawberries
- Extra sliced strawberries for decorating side and top of cake
Grease and flour two 9 inch round pans. In a large bowl combine cake mix and gelatin. Add egg whites and oil. Beat until well blended.
In a small bowl or food processor, mash strawberries in their juice. Set aside 3 Tbsp for icing. Add water and remaining berries to batter and mix. Pour into pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire rack and cool completely before frosting the cake.
Beat butter at medium speed until light and fluffy. Begin adding powdered sugar, alternately with the chopped strawberries mixing well until desired spreadable texture.
***Note; you may not need all of the powdered sugar or the strawberries but you will use most of them. The juice from the strawberries will dictate the exact quantities you use. If frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If frosting is too thick, add more strawberries.
Frost each cake layer, and decorated side and top with extra sliced strawberries.