6. Beta-carotene. You might not think purslane is a rich source of beta carotene, given its green color, but according to the Chicago Tribune, this is one of the plant’s greatest advantages.
7. Hydration. Progressive Health reports that purslane is 93 percent water. Eat the plant to refuel dehydrated cells.
8. Glutathione and melatonin. Purslane contains glutathione, an antioxidant that helps protect cells from damage, and melatonin, which regulates sleep-wake circles, according to Progressive Health.
9. Betalain. Progressive Health says purslane contains betalain, an antioxidant that prevents cholesterol from damaging blood vessels. This is why purslane is known to have a positive effect on LDL cholesterol levels.
10. Tryptophan. Purslane contains this important amino acid that regulates mood. Progressive Health says eating purslane can fight depression.
Do you eat purslane? Tell us when you SHARE this article on social media!