Sweet Potato Tots:
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup (30g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups oil, for deep frying*
- ¼ cup (58g) plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup (60g) ketchup
For the tots:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the whole sweet potato and cook for about 15 minutes. You want it to be slightly softened, but not easily mashed – you will need to be able to grate it. Drain and let it sit until cool enough to handle, then grate with a cheese grater.
- Combine the shredded potato and egg in a medium bowl and use a fork to combine. In another bowl, combine the flour, salt, paprika and garlic powder. Add the flour mixture to the potato and stir to combine.
- Pour the oil into a deep fryer or in to a heavy pot. Heat the oil until it is 375ºF. Place a few sheets of paper towels on a plate to drain the tots when they are done cooking.
- Form the potato mixture into 1-inch balls** and add to the hot oil, being careful not to overcrowd the pot. (It will take you several batches to cook all of the potato mixture.) Fry for 3 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on the paper-towel lined plate. Repeat with the remaining batter, allowing the oil to come back to temperature between batches.
For the sauce:
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt and the ketchup. Serve with the hot tots.
*the recipe calls for peanut oil, but I don’t usually keep peanut oil on hand, so I used vegetable oil.
**I used a small cookie scoop to make the balls. It worked perfectly!
***I sprinkled my tots with kosher salt after they came out of the oil. I always like doing this with fried foods – I think it adds a lot of extra flavor.
Source : allrecipes.com