- 2-3 large sweet potatoes, peeled
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed skillet, heat 1/8-inch vegetable oil over medium high heat until shimmering (but not smoking). Note: oil should sizzle when you drop a few shreds of sweet potato in.
- Using a cheese grater, coarsely grate sweet potato and place in a large bowl.
- Pour lightly beaten eggs into shredded sweet potato and stir together.
- Add parmesan cheese, brown sugar and onion powder, and season everything liberally with salt and pepper.
- Mix until everything is incorporated and sweet potato is thoroughly coated.
- Working in large spoonfuls, drop sweet potato mixture in large clumps into the hot oil. Using the back of a spatula, pat sweet potato rounds down into a flat disc.
- Cook undisturbed for 2-3 minute, or until golden brown. Flip and cook other side until golden.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from The Pancake Princess