The all-American breakfast bake gets Healthified and made in the slow cooker! This savory sausage and egg casserole is perfect for brunch or as breakfast for dinner!
- cup canned evaporated low-fat 2% milk
- teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- cup chopped green onions (4 medium)
- cup shredded reduced-fat Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- bag (20 oz) refrigerated cooked shredded hash brown potatoes
- package (9.6 oz) refrigerated cooked turkey sausage crumbles
- cup chopped roasted red bell peppers (from a jar)
1Line sides of 5-quart oval slow cooker with foil that has been folded into thirds; spray with cooking spray.
2In medium bowl, beat eggs, milk, pepper flakes, salt and pepper with whisk. Reserve 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese and 2 tablespoons green onions; refrigerate while casserole cooks. In small bowl, stir together remaining cheeses.
3Layer half each of the potatoes, sausage, roasted peppers, remaining green onions and cheese in slow cooker. Repeat layers. Pour egg mixture over layers.
4Cover; cook on Low heat setting 4 to 4 1/2 hours or until temperature reaches 160°F in center and egg mixture is set.
5Turn slow cooker off. Sprinkle reserved cheese and green onions over top of casserole. Cover 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove foil before serving by loosening edges with table knife and pulling out.