Perfect Soft Pretzels Recipe
- For the Dough:
- 1 1/2 cups very warm water (115 degrees fahrenheit)
- (1) Package Rapid Rise Yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/4 cups bread flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft
- Cooking Liquid:
- 8 cups water
- Scant 1 cup baking soda
- Egg Wash:
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- For the Dough:
- In a medium bowl combine the water, yeast, sugar, and salt; let sit for 5-8 minutes, or until foamy.
- In the body of a stand mixer using the hook attachment add the flour, butter, and foam mixture and beat on medium speed for 12 minutes, allowing the hook to knead the dough.
- Cover the dough with a warm, moist towel, and let rise for one hour, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees (F). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large, wide pot combine water and baking soda and bring to a boil.
- While the water is coming to a boil, roll out your pretzels!
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces, trying to make them as equal as possible. Roll each piece out into a long rope (about 16 inches) and then shape into a U. Fold each end of the U over each other to achieve the perfect pretzel shape. Press the ends together, pinching the dough together well.
- One at a time, place pretzels into boiling water and cook for 25 seconds before removing with a slotted spatula and transferring to the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the tops and sides of each pretzel with the egg wash. Add salt here if you like.
- Place pan in the oven to bake for 13-15 minutes.
- Transfer pretzels to a cooling wrack to cool completely.