- 2 large russet potatoes
- 6-8 bacon slices
- 4 slices deli turkey, cut into strips (optional)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Barbecue sauce, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Use a fork to poke holes all over potato to allow steam to escape. Place potatoes in oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until partially cooked.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream and hot sauce until combined. Refrigerate at least 20 minutes, or until ready to use.
- Remove potatoes from oven and set aside until cool enough to handle. Reduce oven temperature to 350º F.
- Cut off 1/4-inch of the thick end so potatoes can stand upright. On the other side, cut off 1/4-inch and use an apple corer or a spoon to scoop out the inside of potato, making sure to leave 1/2-inch at the bottom and 1/4-inch at the sides of potato, so there’s still enough support for the bacon and cheese. (Save the scooped out potato and set aside.)
- Starting at the bottom of each potato, wrap bacon around the base and up to the top. Secure with toothpicks.
- In a medium bowl, mix together scooped out potato and turkey slices. Add one spoonful turkey mixture to the inside of potato and top with a pinch of cheddar cheese. Continue layering until potatoes are full. Top with any remaining cheddar cheese.
- Place potatoes in oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are heated through and cheese is melted.
- During last 5 minutes, brush on preferred barbecue sauce.
- Remove potatoes from oven and drizzle sour cream mixture over the top and let it drip down the sides.
- Top with green onion and serve immediately!