- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 lemons, zested and juiced
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 340º F. Butter a 9 inch round cake pan and dust with flour.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together butter, sugar and salt until fully combined and mixture is creamed. Whisk in eggs, one egg at a time, making sure each is fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Mix in lemon zest and mayonnaise until fully combined, then slowly sift in flour while whisking. Stop whisking when fully incorporated. (Be careful not to overmix!) Stir in lemon juice.
- Spread batter into cake pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, until the center bounces back when pressed with your finger.
- Remove from the oven, then let cool for 10-12 minutes and transfer to a serving platter by turning it upside down onto the surface.
- Serve while still warm or fully cooled!
Recipe adapted from The 350 Degree Oven