- 1/4 cup room temperature Butter
- 1/4 cup Butter flavored shortening or use butter
- 1 1/4 cups Sugar
- 3 medium Eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- dash of Salt
- 1 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk *
- t (if you don’ have buttermilk on hand take 1/2 cup whole milk and add 1
- teaspoon white vinegar or lemon juice)
- 3/4 cups Coconut shredded
- 1/2 cup chopped Pecans
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 small box of French Vanilla Instant Pudding
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1 oz eight container of Mascarpone Cheese
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 small container of Cool Whip or whipped topping.
- 1 ounce sixteen package of shredded coconut -toasted
- 1 1/2 cups of chopped pecans -toasted.
Make the cake:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 9 inch cake pan. (if you have any batter left over, simply pop in a couple of cup cake liners).
Cream butter and butter flavored shortening until smooth. Add sugar and mix well. Add eggs one at a time, just until the yellow disappears. Mix for about 30 seconds more.
Combine flour, baking soda and dash of salt. Set aside.
Add 1/3 of the flour mixture (above) to the creamed mixture. Mix well. Now add 1/2 of the buttermilk. Mix well. Add another 1/3 of the flour mixture, rest of the buttermilk, then last of the flour mixture, mixing well after each addition. (i.e. flour, buttermilk, flour, buttermilk, flour) Add the vanilla & mix well.
Stir in the remaining ingredients, coconut and pecans. Pour evenly into the greased and floured cake pan.
Bake at 350 F for 20-25 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes and remove from pans. Let cool completely.
Make the pudding:
Mix the Instant pudding with the milk and allow to set. This should only take 5 – 10 minutes.
In a separate bowl, mix the mascarpone and sweetened condensed milk well until smooth. The instant pudding should now be set; add this to the mascarpone mixture and mix well. Now fold in the Cool Whip and refrigerate until ready to assemble.
Build the Trifle:
Break up the cake (you can just use your hands) so it is in small pieces or large crumbs).Then assemble and layer starting with cake, pudding, coconut and pecans, repeat 1-2 times. If you end with pudding and toasted coconut sprinkled on top you can cover with plastic and it comes off fairly clean.