Ingredients for Fried Green Tomato and Cheese
2 green tomatoes, cut into ¼-inch slices
½ cup bacon grease (save from cooking bacon)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
¼ cup milk
¼ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
½ cup flour
⅔ cup cornmeal
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
8 slices white bread, preferably Texas Toast
8 slices bacon, cooked
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 teaspoons chopped chives, optional
1. Whisk eggs, milk, paprika, and garlic powder in a pie pan or bowl.
2. In another pie pan or on a plate, mix together flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper.
3. Dip tomatoes into egg mixture and then coat with flour mixture.
4. Heat bacon grease in a large cast iron skillet or regular skillet over medium heat. When hot, fry 4 to 5 tomatoes at a time. When golden brown on one side, flip and cook until golden brown on the other side. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle lightly with sugar and salt.
5. For each sandwich, layer 2 to 3 fried green tomatoes on a piece of bread, top with 2 slices bacon, and about ¼ cup Cheddar cheese and ¼ cup Monterey Jack cheese. Sprinkle with chives and top with another bread slice.
6. Heat a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Place a pat of butter on the surface of the pan. Use a spatula to spread it out as it melts. Place a sandwich on top and cook until golden brown. Lift sandwich off pan with a spatula, place another pat of butter down and flip sandwich over onto the melted butter. Cook until cheese is melted, turning heat down if it starts to brown too quickly.