Makes 4 servings.
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 2 medium potatoes
- ½ pound sausages, your favorite
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1 can tomato paste and 2 cans water, OR
- 1 large can tomato sauce
- salt and pepper, and 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp vinigar
- Rinse lentils in a sieve under running water until the water runs clear. Put in a medium size pot, cover with water, and simmer till tender, about 20 minutes to ½ hour.
- Peel and cut up potatoes and set them in a second pot, bring to boil then turn down to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry sausages in a frying pan till cooked. Remove to a plate to drain on paper towels.
- In same pan, fry diced onion in about a tablespoon of olive oil till they are soft, scraping the pan to incorporate any brown bits left from the sausage, then add garlic and stir and cook for one minute more.
- Add the tomato paste and water, or the tomato sauce, season with salt and pepper and throw in two bay leaves.
- While that is simmering, drain your cooked potatoes and cut up the sausages into bite size pieces.
- Pour tomato sauce into lentils, along with the potatoes and sausages. Let the whole thing simmer for about 10 minutes. (no longer or it gets really mushy). Stir in 1 Tbsp vinegar just before serving.