- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (8 Tablespoons) very cold butter (1 stick butter)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Either grease with butter and flour, or spray with baking spray, an 8×8 inch pan, or place parchment paper on the bottom of the pan.
- Chop the strawberries and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together ½ cup white sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a measuring cup or small bowl, beat an egg with a fork. Add the egg and vanilla to the flour mixture. Using a fork or a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture. (Make sure the butter is very cold.) Work with the dough until the pieces are very small. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of the dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In another bowl, stir together ⅓ cup sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the strawberries. Spoon the strawberry mixture evenly over the bottom crust.
- Crumble the remaining dough over the strawberry filling layer.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly golden brown. (My oven runs hot and baked in about 38 minutes.)
- Cool completely before cutting into squares. I recommend refrigerating until ready to serve.