- 2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons fine grain sea salt
- 2 (4-inch) square sheets nori seaweed
- 6 ounces extra-firm tofu
- grated zest and juice of one orange
- grated zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons (raw) brown sugar (reg. sugar is ok too)
- 2 tablespoons shoyu sauce (or soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons (brown) rice vinegar
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Rinse and drain the rice two or three times. Combine the rice, water, and salt in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, cover, and simmer gently until the water is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Toast the nori in a preheated 300F degree oven or a medium-hot skillet for a few minutes. Crumble or chop coarsely.
- Drain the tofu and pat it dry. Cut the block of tofu lengthwise through the middle to make four 1/4-to 1/2-inch thick sheets of tofu. Two at a time, cook in a dry skillet or well-seasoned skillet over medium-high for a few minutes until browned on one side. Flip gently, then continue cooking for another minute or so, until the tofu is firm, golden, and bouncy. Let cool, enough to handle, then cute crosswise into matchsticks (see photo). Repeat with the remaining sheets.
- To make the dressing, set the sheets aside. Combine the orange juice lemon juice, and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Cook for 1 or 2 minute, the add the shoyu and vinegar. Return to a gentle boil and cook another 1 or 2 minutes, until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the zests.
- When the rice is done, stir in 1/3 cup of the dressing and add more to taste. Scoop the rice into individual bowls and top with the toasted nori, green onions, tofu, avocado slices, and a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
Source : allrecipes.com