- 1-1/4 cups stone ground yellow cornmeal (medium grind)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (can use half white flour and half whole wheat pastry flour)
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons lowfat buttermilk*
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons honey (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup corn (canned or frozen)
- 3-4 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno (more or less to taste)
- 1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chiles (if there’s liquid in the can, drain it)
- 1 cup shredded low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 8×8″ baking pan with cooking spray. (Can also use 12-cup muffin pan or cast iron skillet.)
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt in large bowl (plus buttermilk powder if you’re using it–see * below). Whisk together.
- In separate bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk (or water–see * below), and honey together. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients. Stir until just mixed–don’t over mix.
- Add onion, corn, jalapeno, green chiles, bacon and cheese; fold into batter until mixed.
Pour into baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.Source : allrecipes.com